English whippet (which is lightly shorter in size when compared to English Greyhound) is mainly used by peasants to catch rats from long back. The breed is known for its racing skills are used in dog races from ancient times.This breed is now available in almost all the parts of the world.
History and Health :
- History :
Whippets are used by mankind from long back and if the historians are true, these dogs were used by pharaohs also. However, the first dog that was called as whippet was actually a cross between greyhound and spaniel.
- Health :
As this dog is evolved in stages with strong physical work their body structure is very strong and the physical health problems are very less when compared to other breeds. Ear infections, eyesight problems, skin infections rarely occur in this breed.
It is better not to use anestheticsfor Whippets as they increase the pressure on liver and the low fat content present in the body can cause some metabolic problems. One must know that the heart of whippetbeats slowly when it is at rest and this is common in this breed.
Temperament & Personality :
- Personality :
It is warm and friendly and it is equally powerful in chases. Its intelligent capabilities made it easy to train and its willing to please breeder nature made it a favorite pet breed for many.
- Activity Requirements :
This dog needs regular exercises and is considered as fastest dogwithin their weightrange. They can even reach speeds upto 53kmph which is very quick when compared to humans. This dog uses double suspension gallop technique while running.
- Trainability :
This dog is very easy to train (similar to English Greyhounds). Though it appears weak, it had enormous strength hidden in its body. With proper training one can utilize this dog in somany ways.
- Behavioral Traits :
Whippet is kind and gentle. It is very loyal to its breeder and instructor. This dog generally shakes it body whatever the temperature may beand one should not misunderstand this with shivering.
Appearance & Grooming :
- Appearance :
It appears weak when compared to several other breeds. But in reality it is very quick, heavy and itsbones are really strong. The length between chest and hip is almost equal to the shoulders height in this breed.
- Size and Weight :
The size and weight of this dog breed varies based on the geographical location. The Whippet breed belong to North America can grow between18.5–22.5 inches (47–57 cm)where as the internationally accepted range is 18.5–20 inches (47–51 cm). The North American Female dogs can grow between 17.5–21.5 inches (44–55 cm) and the internationally accepted range is 17.5–18.5 inches (44–47 cm). These dogs usually weigh between 15 to 30 pounds.
- Coat & Color :
Its coat is smooth, short and thick. Dogs having white color coat are most preferred dogs where as the black colored dogs came next after them in thebreeder’spreference.
- Grooming :
Its soft coat is easy to groom. Its shedding is consideredaverage and clean it whenever you feel necessary. It is generally odor free and won’t smell sweaty.
- Body Type :
Its legs appear straight like cat or hare. Ears are small and folded in general. Its limbs appear soft and thin. Its slender body is perfect for sprint and this dog can achieve top speed within seconds.
- This dog is very intelligent and quick learner.
- It is affectionate,sweet and docile.
- It is not suitable for cold or hot climates. It is better to use coat in winter season.
- They can stay calm indoor and a small yard is perfect for them.
- Fence yard is needed if you are have other small pets (like birds, cat etc) as this dog can attack and kill small pets and animals.
- It is considered as the poor man’s racehorse and even racing championships take place in England regularly.
- They are excellent household dogs as they are very quiet in the living room. They appear so dignified indoors and help in creating a lively experience in your house.
- They tend to sleep whenever they are free, so keep them busy all the time.
- They are very sensitive to touch. They lose their calmness whenever you touch themharshly or unexpectedly.
- They like furniture very much and they has a tendency to get up on furniture.
Tasty Tidbits :
Its name whippet came from the word whip. This is because of whippet’s quick and rapid movement which is similar to whip.
Whippet is known for its physical strength and no special care is necessary. But one must have some patience so that they can have a closer look at this dog at least once in ten days. Combing hair is easy and cleaning activities like brushing, bathingetcare regularly needed.
One must be very careful while feeding this dog. Digestive problems became a cause of concern in this breed and the breeder must observe the dieting pattern of the dog very carefully. It is better to give two cups of high quality food in two sessions. Bully Whippets which have large muscles are getting popular these days. They appear similar to whippets and no significant health or genetic problems detectedin this new breed also.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Whippet :
Whippet Information :
- The full name of this breed is English Whippet.
- It is popularly known as Whippet, Snap dog etc.
- It originally belongs to England.
- It is of medium size type.
- Generally it diesatan age of 12-14 years.
- It belongs to Hound breeding category as per AKC standards.
- It is intelligent, aggressive, protective and good at hunting.
- Its height statistics varies from 50-57cmsin case of males.
- Females usually reach heights that are in the range of 47-53cms.
- It generally weighs between 15-42 pounds.
- Whippet is available in black, blue, red, sable, tan and white but the white with various color markingsare very popular.
- You need to pay $800-1200 to get whippet puppy.