A Catahoula bulldog is not a pure breed. These dogs are the mixed breed bulldogs. The mixed breed is the mix of Catahoula Leopard dog and American bulldog. These dogs were developed about 100 years ago. These dogs are the excellent herders. In 1951 the first generation of Catahoula bulldogs was developed. These bulldogs have the mixed talent of both Catahoula Leopard dog and American bulldog. These are the cunning and intelligent dogs. The first generation of this cross breed has always 50% Catahoula Leopard bulldog and 50% American bulldog. Secondary generations can be 25%-75% mixed breed.
History and Health :
- History – The history of these dogs is about 100 years old. These dogs were first developed in the southern USA. These were created by the ranchers. Ranchers needed a dog with excellent herding and hunting qualities. Catahoula leopard dogs were the skilled dogs, but they were not able to catch a pig. On the other hand, Americans bulldogs are the excellent catching dogs, but these are large in size, and have extra weight. Therefore, a mixed breed of these two types of dogs with distinctive qualities was developed. This mix breed was registered by Animal Research Foundation in 1951.
- Health – To know about the medical conditions that have an effect on the health of dogs is quite important. These dogs can survive for thirteen to fifteen years. These do not experience any specific health disorders. These dogs also suffer from the diseases that also affect other dogs. Environmental extremes can greatly affect the health of these dogs. Hot spots, fungus spots, and interdigital Cysts are common. Deafness is also common among these dogs.
Temperament & Personality :
- Personality – There dogs are the friendly dogs. They also like to hunt and catch. These are very fond of herding, and the protective instincts of these dogs are very strong. These dogs have a peaceful and alert nature.
- Activity Requirements – This mixed breed is a high energy breed. Catahoula bulldogs are very active in nature. These dogs are great for tracing and also for working. These are also great for guarding the dogs. They also like daily long walks. These dogs also like to play and have fun.
- Trainability – This mixed breed is good in trainability if good training is provided to them. These take some time in getting trained in anything. They do not take a long time in training as these are very active and intelligent. There is no need of a firm leader for their training as they learn everything quickly. Therefore, owners need to move in a slow manner while training them.
- Behavioral Traits – These dogs are not only loyal, but these are also very friendly. These dogs love and care their family. These are also very devoted. You can make a Catahoula bulldog an excellent companion.
Appearance & Grooming :
- Appearance – These are medium in size and have a tight skin. There have short hair over their bodies. Usually, these do not have any undercoat. In colder climates, they develop an undercoat also. Their ears are button-type. Due to cropped ears, they have an appealing look. Their eyes have different colors. There are different large patches on their skin in different colors.
- Size and Weight – The size of this breed varies between 24cm to 26cm. Their weight range is 75 pounds to 100 pounds normally.
- Coat & Color – These dogs have a short and soft coat. Their skin is very tight. They have undercoats in different colors that are developed during the cold season. Mostly, these are found in white color. These dogs can be in brown and black colors also. We can also see back and brown Catahoula bulldogs. Some dogs have large sized spots on their skin. Some dogs have small colored patches on their skin.
- Grooming – These dogs have an even temper. For their grooming, they need a regular exercise. Catahoula dogs posses a good health, and therefore; minimum grooming is needed for their growth. For good grooming, frequent brushing of their coat is required.
- Body Type – They have a small sized strong body. As compared to their tails, these are longer in size. They have a strong build and a heavier body. They have a laid back. Their skin is tight, but their coat is very smooth.
- These dogs show a friendly behavior with other animals.
- These dogs have a good muscular strength.
- These are very intelligent.
- They are best in hunting.
- They are the all purpose dogs.
- They are good learners.
- They have a good health.
- These are the cat friendly dogs.
- These are the best watch dogs.
- These dogs love kids.
- These are very popular.
- These are easy to train dogs.
- They show no to Hypoallergenic.
Tasty Tidbits :
They feel fear from heat. Do not allow your Catahoula a rough running. Do not give them excessive diet as they get obesity easily. During climate changes, you should take more care of them.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Catahoula Bulldog :
Because of possessing a good health, they do not need extra care. You should take more care of them during temperature changes.
These are full of energy, but you should give them a balanced diet. Excessive diet may make them inactive by causing obesity.
Information And Facts of Catahoula Bulldog :
- The full name of this dog is Catahoula Bulldog.
- Another name of it is Catahoula Bulldog hybrid.
- Southern United States is the Dog’s origin.
- The size of the dog varies from medium to large.
- The dog’s breed is cross breed.
- The dog has a life span of 13-15 years.
- The height of these dogs is 24-26cm.
- The weight of these dogs ranges from 75 pounds to 100 pounds.
- These dogs are available in different colors. There are marks in black, tan, and other colors on their bodies.
- Average price of a Catahoula Bulldog puppy is approximately $800 and above.
- The daily sleep time of the dogs is about 6 hours.
- Lower classifications include 50% Leopard Catahoula and 50% American Bulldog and 75% Catahoula Leopard Dog and 25% American Bulldog.