The Thai Ridgeback is said to be one of the oldest and purest breeds of dog known to mankind. Its origins lie in Thailand where it is very popular as a guard dog. Thai Ridgebacks generally don’t do well in cold climates and so very few of these dogs are found outside of the south-east Asian continent. USA has less than 300 of pure Thai Ridgebacks.
History and Health :
- History – The Thai Ridgeback originated in eastern Thailand over 4,000 years back. Because that part of Thailand was cut-off from the world for many centuries, this breed developed as a pure breed with no crossbreeding. Later, they were discovered by humans and domesticated for hunting wild animals.
- Health – This breed is an exceptionally healthy breed and has few or no health problems in their entire lifespan. One disease which may occur is some dogs is known as Dermoid Sinus Cyst which is basically a skin disease.
Temperament and Personality :
- Personality – The Thai Ridgeback is an extremely loyal dog and makes a very faithful companion. It is very agile and remains alert all the time such that he can make a very good guard dog. He is most famous for his devotion to his owners and the natural protective instinct he has for those close to him.
- Activity Requirements – Thai Ridgeback is an extremely active dog and a long walk daily is an absolute must apart from other activities like jumping and even climbing.
- Trainability – It may be a bit difficult to train this dog since he is intelligent and confident and can think on its own. A trainer with a dominant personality and who has knowledge of the temperament of this breed of dogs can manage to train him effectively. However, without proper training, Thai Ridgebacks have often been known to turn aggressive.
- Behavioural Traits – The Thai Ridgeback is basically an intelligent dog who takes his job of being protective towards his owners very seriously. He is not usually jumpy or playful but has a rather reserved kind of personality. It almost makes him look like a regal dog. He is also generally aloof towards strangers.
Appearance and Grooming :
- Appearance – The Thai Ridgeback is a strong muscular dog with a dense coat which may be either blue, black, silver or red. The most unique feature of this dog is that it has a ridge on its back caused due to a line of hair growing in the opposite direction from the hair on the rest of the body. This is also the reason behind it being named a ridgeback.
- Size and Weight – It comes in the category of medium sized dogs. A male dog weighs about 22-34 kg while a female dog weighs about 15-24 kg on an average.
- Coat and Colour – The Thai Ridgeback has a short coat which is smooth except for the ridge on its back formed by hair growing in the opposite direction which may result in formation of circles or whirls. The most prominent colours in which this dog comes are silver, black, blue and red.
- Grooming – The Thai Ridgeback is generally a low maintenance dog. It does not require any special grooming except for the occasional brush down which is essential to get rid of dead hair.
- Body Type – The Thai Ridgeback has a very muscular body with symmetrical and pronounced ribs which make the dog look very athletic. The hind legs are also lean and long which enable it to jump higher than most other dogs.
- He is not an overly playful dog and so might not be the most suitable choice for kids.
- He is extremely protective so your kids would always remain safe with him.
- It can prove to be difficult for inexperienced owners to train him.
- He can be very hostile towards other pet animals, especially cats.
- The intelligence level of this dog is above average.
- He generally has a calm demeanour and does not get hyper-excited.
- He is an extremely strong dog with a well-muscled body.
- He needs adequate physical and mental exercise on a daily basis.
- He is a very active dog and remains alert.
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed.
- He has a longer lifespan than most other breeds and has been known to easily live for up to 16 years.
Tasty Tidbits :
It is believed that the Thai Ridgeback shares some genes with the Phu Quoc Ridgeback of Vietnam and the Rhodesian Ridgeback of Africa. However, it is still not a scientific certainty.
If the dog is well trained and knows his duties and responsibilities, he will not require any extra care or attention on a daily basis. By itself, it is a responsible dog with ingrained instincts of protectiveness and loyalty. They need a lot of exercise on a daily basis and therefore the cramped confines of an apartment are usually not suitable for this dog. Rather, a house with a yard would be more suitable. Also, it prefers to stay in warm climate such as that of his native country, Thailand.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Thai Ridgeback :
Thai Ridgeback requires a high quality diet of dry kibble only. Wet food can cause gum infections in this dog. Also, the quantity of diet depends on the amount of exercise that the dog is getting. If you are not sure about the appropriate diet for your dog then consult a professional dog breeder or trainer.
Information And Facts of Thai Ridgeback :
- The full name is Thai Ridgeback.
- It is also known as Mah Thai Lang Ahn.
- The origin of this dog is in Thailand.
- It is a medium sized dog.
- The breed group it belongs to is ‘Sighthounds and Pariahs’.
- Its average life span is 12 to 13 years.
- The average height of a male dog is 56-61 cms while that of a female dog is 51-56 cms.
- The ideal weight for a male dog is 22.7-34 kg while for a female dog it is 15.9-24.9 kg.
- It comes in a variety of colours like blue, black, red, white, fawn and brindle.
- The average price of a Thai Ridgeback puppy is 600-800 USD.
- It stays alert most of the time but needs a warm, soft spot to rest in.
- It is not hypoallergenic.