This medium sized dog originally belongs to spaniel group. Though their existence from the sixteenth century can be recorded it is considered as a rare breed because of rare availability of this breed. It is hard to control them when they are aggressive and the breeders must assign some tasks to prevent them from feeling bore and becoming destructive.
History and Health :
- History – There are strong evidences that the existence of this breed is known from the sixteenth century. The breed reached its golden period in the early nineteenth century and from 1950’s their decline started. With an attempt to produce the all black spaniel, this breed received criticism in the early stages of its development process but later became a favorite for many.
- Health – Field spaniel suffers from predisposition most of the times and eye problems and infections are quite common. In the English version of this breed, Hip dysplasia is observed in most of the cases. The medium lifespan of this breed is more than eleven years which is greater than the average lifespan of all the breeds. Most of the deaths caused to this breed are due to cancer and the second most death causing factor is aging.
Temperament & Personality :
- Personality – It always tries to act independently and it is fun loving. Its intelligent capabilities are well appreciated and this dog loves human companion. It is somewhat reserved in the initial meetings and become extremely friendly after few meetings.
- Activity Requirements – This breed requires minimum exercise and is somewhat lazy when compared to other breeding dogs. Minimum of fifteen minutes brisk walking or ten minutes of running in the morning and half an hour play in the backyard in the evening is more than sufficient to meet the exercise requirements.
- Trainability – This breed is easy to train and one must be somewhat strict in the initial stages of the training and any misunderstandings and repeated mistakes should be heavily punished.
- Behavioral Traits – One can see the pride in its head while it is in motion. Display of fear, shyness, aggressiveness, should be heavily penalized.
Appearance & Grooming :
- Appearance – The chest appears to be deep but not broad or wide. Its chest is fully developed and the rib cage can swing moderately. Its back is strong and the neck appears flat with no tuck up.
- Size and Weight – The height of this dog is in the range of seventeen to twenty inches (43-46 cms). The weight of the dog usually varies between 40-55 pounds (18-25 kgs) with no significant difference between male and female dogs.
- Coat & Color – The fur or coat is neither thick nor dense. Silky and glossy look is observed and it is neither wooly nor wiry. The hair strands look almost similar to that of the human hair and they always shed hair and this can be a problem for allergic people. Most of the times, the color is black but other colors also present.
- Grooming – With special grooming techniques, this breed can look very beautiful. Special pet parlors can really change the overall look of this dog and it is better to go to these parlors at least once in three months. One can try so many styles on these breeds and almost all the styles suit well for these breeds.
- Body Type – No fur is found below the hock joint and excessive fur is found on the chest, belly and behind the legs.
- Silky look of the outer coat is rare to see in the pet dogs and this breed fulfills all the expectations.
- It is a utility dog and can suit all the requirements
- Water resistance and endurance are rarely seen qualities in dog breeds which are inculcated in this breed by birth.
- This dog is ideal for sporty and big family as this loves human companion.
- It is easily adaptable to any family conditions.
- Its litter size varies from 3 to 8 puppies.
- Locking the puppy in the kennel for several hours can have negative psychological effects on this dog.
- It is not recommended for apartment culture and a big backyard is ideal place to stay.
Tasty Tidbits :
It can swim well and its swimming capabilities are well appreciated all over the word. This dog always tries to do mischievous things with an intention of getting close to the breeder. Their intelligent capabilities are above average in all the working dog breeds as per the “The intelligence of dogs” book.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Field Spaniel :
One must be very careful while bringing up this dog and the cleaning process involves regular brushing and bathing activities. To avoid ear infections one must give special emphasis to the ear parts area. To reduce skin allergies and infections, one must use advanced antifungal creams on skin.
The feeding requirements of this dog vary depending on the stage of development. Fully developed dog can eat two to two and half cups of quality feed and this quantity is more than sufficient to meet the nutrients requirement of the body and helps in improving the immunity of the body. Field Spaniel which is developed as a hunting dog lost its glory in the 21st century as their dependence for hunting got reduced. The redeveloped version of the dog (longer legs version) is used in farms and is increasingly seen these days. This original version of Field Spaniel dog is rare to get and most of the puppies that are sold on this name are the hybrid versions.
Information And Facts of Field Spaniel
- Full name of this dog breed is Field Spaniel
- It is popularly known as Field in most of the regions of the world.
- It originally hails from England.
- It is of medium size type.
- It belongs to Sporting dog breed as per the AKC standards.
- The life span of this dog is in the range of 10-12 years.
- It is intelligent, shy and fun loving.
- Male dogs usually reach heights that are in the range of 17-19 inches.
- Female dogs usually grow in between of 15-18 inches.
- The weight of this breed dogs is in the range of 40-55 pounds.
- Single colored version like Liver, Black, Liver Roan, Blue Roan are equally popular with two colored varieties like Black & Tan, Liver & Tan.
- One needs to spend $500-600 to get this brand in USA.