Canaan Dog is one of the oldest breeds of dogs, dating as far back as the biblical times when they were used for herding. Over time, this breed has proved to be very versatile due to their high intelligence as well as obedience traits. He is an excellent watchdog and remains alert and vary of strangers. They are very frequently used as mine detectors and tracker dogs. They make very good companion dogs for families but are a very rare breed with only about 1,600 of their kind left in the world.
History and Health :
- History – This breed of dogs originated in the region of Canaan which is the present day Israel. These are one of the earliest discovered dogs and possibly one of the first dogs to be domesticated and used for herding. Proof of the existence of these dogs have been found in rock carvings as well as excavated skeletons dating as far back as 4th Century BC. In the 1930s and 1940s, much of this dog’s population was killed by the government of Israel to fight against rabies. Since then they have become a rare breed.
- Health – Canaan Dog is an exceptionally healthy breed. However, some health problems common to all breeds can sometimes occur in these dogs too like hip dysplasia, epilepsy and Progressive Retinal Atrophy.
Temperament and Personality :
- Personality – The Canaan Dog is very intelligent and strong headed. He has very strong territorial instincts which make him wary of strangers and an excellent watchdog. He has a loud, deep bark which he uses to alert the owners if someone is trespassing. Sometimes, he can also tend to bark at completely harmless things. He is usually a great companion for kids as he is protective towards them.
- Activity Requirements – These dogs have moderate exercise requirements. A long daily walk or jog is necessary to keep them healthy. Apart from that, these dogs love to have a space to run around in freely and play various dog games. They also love a challenge and would easily spend hours trying to perfect an activity or task that their trainer expects of them.
- Trainability – It is easy to train these dogs since they are intelligent creatures and are quick learners. However, they are also very independent and therefore require a trainer with a strong personality who can establish himself as the leader.
- Behavioural Traits – Since the Canaan Dog is such an ancient breed, it is used to the ‘pack culture’ and shows several traits of being a part of a pack even when he is not. He will always be gentle towards small kids as he will consider them part of his pack and he would not tolerate interference from another dog or even kids from other families. He is also a very vocal dog and if not trained properly, he can bark his head off at completely harmless things.
Appearance and Grooming :
- Appearance – The Canaan Dog does not really have a unique appearance but is rather the basic, primitive dog and looks like one. In fact, he is said to have some physical features of sheepdogs, dingos, border collies as well as greyhounds. They have a glossy double coat which is generally white or light brown, golden or golden-red but can also be a solid black colour.
- Size and Weight – It is a typical medium sized dog with a square body. The body weight varies between 18-25 kgs.
- Coat and Colour – The Canaan Dog is native to the desert region of central Asia and therefore has a double coat to protect it from the extremely hot temperature of the region. The undercoat is short and soft while the outer coat is harsh but short. The colour of the coat can be black, varying shades of brown, golden, golden-red, cream or pure white. If it is a light coloured coat, it will generally have markings with a different colour.
- Grooming – The coat needs to be brushed on a weekly basis to keep it smooth and free of debris. However, during shedding season, the coat should be brushed twice a day to free it of loose dead hair. Other general grooming activities like trimming nails etc. have to be performed.
- Body Type – The Canaan Dog has a strongly built body which can endure extreme temperatures. The body is well muscled as the breed is basically a working dog participating in many activities like herding, guarding, search and rescue etc. Its neck is gracefully arched and the legs are straight.
- He is very intelligent and quick to learn things.
- He is good with small kids as he is gentle and docile.
- He is an excellent watchdog.
- He is friendly with other animals if properly socialized.
- He is vary of strangers and is generally aloof towards them.
- He has very high barking tendencies.
- He requires a lot of physical as well as mental stimulation.
- They are below average shedders but will shed heavily twice a year.
- His trainer needs to be a strong and confident leader.
- He can be aggressive towards other dogs if his ‘pack leader’ traits kick in.
Tasty Tidbits :
This dog loves to dig, especially when he is bored. If he is let loose in a garden or yard without supervision, he may dig up the whole place in a single day.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Canaan Dog :
To keep the dog healthy, it is necessary to provide him ample opportunity to exercise as well as space to play in. Also, for the Canaan Dog, it is necessary to socialize him at a young age by making him meet new people and new dogs so that he does not get aggressive or shy towards strangers at a later stage.
A healthy diet of dry food of 1.5-2.5 cups of kibble divided in two meals a day is recommended for the Canaan Dog.
Information And Facts of Canaan Dog :
- Full name of this dog is Canaan Dog.
- It is also known as kalef K'naani.
- Its country of origin is Israel.
- It is a medium sized breed of dogs.
- It belongs to Southern Pariah or Herding group of dogs.
- The life span of this dog if 12-15 years.
- The height of a male dog is 50-60 cms while that of a female dog is 45-55 cms.
- The average weight of the Canaan Dog is 18-25 kgs with the female dogs weighing slightly less than the male dogs.
- The colour of this dog varies from solid black to golden to golden-red, brown and cream.
- The price of a Canaan Dog puppy is approximately $700-$1200.
- Canaan dog has high activity requirements and needs both mental as well as physical stimulations.
- It is a very versatile dog and can adapt to any kind of work activity quickly including herding, hunting, dog sports and even daily household chores.