Shiloh Shepherd is a recent developed dog’s breed. The dog was developed by cross mating German shepherd with other breeds. The resultant breed was even tempered and easy going dog. This breed is described as slow but steady; it lacks agility but is enriched with endurance and stamina. The dog loves to swim; going on adventurous trips, and is even capable of pulling carts. They are even used by police for search and rescue missions. The dog is patient and docile with children and is even tolerable to other animals. They are obedient dogs that love to work alongside humans. They can thrive in yard less home if they are given enough exercise and walk. Comparing to German shepherd, this breed has low energy needs. Be ready to vacuum quite often because the dog sheds heavily.
The dog was developed in early 70’s by Tina M. Barber. She was a lover of GSD but wanted a dog which is calmer and possesses sweet disposition inside home. It is believed that along with GSD, the dog has Alaskan malamute in its bloodline too. The breed was named after its club of origin- “Shiloh Shepherds”. In short the breed is a gentle version of GSD.
Shiloh Shepherd Facts & Characteristics
- The breed belongs USA and is similar in appearance as German Shepherd
- It is longer than German shepherd with softer, calmer and easy going personality
- The dog is bestowed with incredible endurance power but lacks agility
- It is suitable for apartment only if exercised well; the dog remains well behaved inside home
- They are good with children and other animals
- With strangers they are suspicious and wary of them
- The dog tends to be heavy shedders and is not a hypoallergenic breed
- Lifespan of this breed is 12 to 14 years
- The dog is highly trainable and learns the skills faster
- They are 71–76 cm tall
- They weight around 54–72 kg
- They come in black and tan, cream, silver and dark brown color
- Their health problem is same as GSD like hip and elbow dysplasia, skin problems, bloat and bones related issues
- The average cost of the puppy is $1200 to $1800
- The dog excels in assistive services, therapy work, obedience, search and rescue works.
They are well balanced dogs with sturdily built up body. They have a domed structured head with elongated face. Ears are of medium sized and triangular in shape which sets atop the head. Muzzle should be essentially black and equal in length to the forehead. Eyes should be dark in color and round in shape. Overall expression of its face should be cute and gentle. Neck should be well carved, long and muscular. Back should be strongly boned and straight. Tail should be long, think and bushy in structure.
Size and Height
Male should be 71–76 cm tall while female should be 66–71 cm tall. Weight of male breed should be 54–72 kg and female should weigh around 36–54 kg.
Coat and Color
The dog has a double coat with medium length hair. Hair in the neck region can be longer than rest of the body. Their coat can be of two types-
- Plush coat – This type of coat is less coarse and should have a softer undercoat. Feather kind of hair can be found in neck, head, belly and tail. Length of the hair should be maximum 3 inches on the body and 6 inches on legs.
- Smooth coat – This type of coat is thick, smaller in size than plush coat and dense. The top coat should be straight and close to the body. Undercoat should be soft and 1- 2 inches long. Back of legs should have longer hairs.
The dog comes in various colors- black /golden/red/silver with tan and shades of gold, silver, dark brown, and sable.
- Personality – The dog is referred to as “good mannered canine” species. It is a gentle and calm version GSD. The dog was bred for companionship and has natural loyal and affectionate personalities. The dog doesn’t know what is like to be aggressive. It is even tolerable with other house animals. With strangers they are aloof. They are strong, powerful along with nobility in their behavior.
- Behavior – The dog remains calm yet attentive which makes it a suitable watchdog. The dog is adaptable to any environment. It has moderate energy level so it does well even in a yard less house. But because of its size, you need to provide spacious room to the dog. If trained properly it can be a working dog. They love to be a playmate of children.
- Activities requirement – The dog requires daily dose of physical and mental activity so that it stays fit and healthy. One hour of long walk or dog’s related sports like fly ball, fly disc is enough for the breed. They love swimming so you can take the dog on swimming too. They can be your travel partner too.
- Trainability – The dog is a good listener and moderately easy to train. They love to please their owner and will learn skills taught to them without throwing any tantrums. You can train the dog to be effective watchdog and guard dog.
A balanced diet is required for the optimum health of this dog. Apart from raw meat you can provide this dog, fresh fruits and vegetables to eat. Their diet should contain appropriate amount of protein for their proper function. Provide fresh and clean water around its place so that it doesn’t get dehydrated. One should not feed alcohol, chocolate, coffee, tea, salt and grapes to dogs.
The dog lives around 12 to 14 years.
It is not a hypoallergenic breed. The health concern of the dog is same as GSD. The dog can suffer from hip dysplasia, bloat and other bones related issues.
Grooming and Caring
The dog is easy to groom because it remains naturally clean. Only problem with them is that they shed heavily. Regular brushing followed by combing is required to keep the dead hairs in control and to have mats free coat. Bath the dog only when needed. Regular brushing its teeth is mandatory to keep its teeth healthy and bad smell at bay. Check its ears for any sign of wax build up, irritation and infection. Trim its nail if it makes “click” sound while hitting on floor
The dog can thrive in any environment
Things To Consider Before Buying
- It is playful and affectionate dog
- The dog makes excellent watch dog
- It is a good natured dog that can befriend even animals. Inside home it remains well behaved
- The dog is highly adaptable. Training the dog is easy.
- The dog is a heavy shedder
- It is not a hypoallergenic breed
- The dog need physical and mental stimulation to stay healthy and happy
- They are not natural guardian dogs though can be trained to be one.