Appenzeller Sennenhund is dog of a medium size, one among the four breeds of Sennenhund-type of dogs that are found in the Swiss Alps. In fact, it is the rarest of the four breeds, and he got the name as an all-round farm dog that was used to take care of livestock, pulling carts and protecting the farm. The fact that he is loves working due to his great energy, it is not suited to an inactive lifestyle.
History and Health :
- History :
The dog, Appenzeller Sennenhund is a multi-purpose animal that originated in Switzerland. It was used to take care of livestock and drive them. Also, the dog could play a role of pulling carts and defending the homes and families of the owners. This dog is the least common and famous dog among the four breeds that are closely related. It is considered by many people as the most-distinctive dog among the Swiss cattle dogs.
- Health :
In regards to heath, the dog enjoys a relatively good healthy. It is not a breed that is affected from health challenges at high rates compared to the pure breed types of dogs. Moreover, because of the skeletal and visual challenges the breeds are likely to be affected because they are not exceptional compared to other breeds. Though not all Appenzeller Sennenhund can be attacked by these diseases but it is vital to be informed about them when you want to buy this breed. Some of the likely diseases are Hip Dysplasia that is so common, and therefore, it is recommended that the owners take their puppies for a test by Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (OFA).
Temperament & Personality :
- Personality :
In regards to personality, Appenzeller Sennenhund is a charming dog, tough, intelligent and very lively. It loves being with other dogs and can mix well with other livestock and also to the household animals. It loves being socialized well. It is a dog that is hardworking and dislikes laziness.
- Activity Requirements :
Appenzeller Sessenhund likes agility skill trial and games that are so much catchy. They like being involved in some works and having some freedom of space. The dog does not belong to an environment that is so busy or in suburb areas. This dog can only be active when it can live on a farm where there is a room for him to run. The dog likes being outdoors and in its territories.
- Trainability :
In regards to training, Appenzeller Sessenhund is a dog that is to train and learns very quickly. Due to its high intelligence levels, the dog always wants to be involved in some job. It likes being outdoors so much hence making it easily trainable.
- Behavioral Traits :
In regards to behavior, Appenzeller Sennenhund is a loyal dog that is very close to the owner and also to the entire family in case they are close to the dog always. The dog is a very intelligent breed and requires great attention. In case they are left alone, they may become mischievous and may ignore any attention from any person. It is a great worker and loves herding cattle and will try at its best to fulfill your desire.
Appearance & Grooming :
- Appearance :
The Appenzeller Sessenhund has a wide, flat head with a narrow muzzle. Its eyes are small and dark in color and have pendant ears.
- Size and Weight :
These dogs weigh between forty-nine to seventy pounds. In terms of height, they stand between eighteen to twenty-three inches tall.
- Coat & Color :
In regards to the coat, the dog has a straight-haired double coat. Also, the color of its coat range from black to brown with some white marks on the parts of the eyes and on the head regions. There is also rust marking that separates the white and black colors.
- Grooming :
When it comes to grooming of the Appenzeller Sennenhund, it is easy and simple. Just use a rubber brush to clear off the dead hairs on the body from time to time.
- Body Type :
The Appenzeller Sennenhund is a medium sized dog that is well built and hardy.
- He is average when it comes to cat-friendly
- When it comes to intelligence, he is above average
- He is average in dog-friendly
- He is average in regards to adaptability
- His affection level is good.
- He is rarely apartment friendly
- Appenzeller Sennenhund is sometimes stranger friendly
- His watchdog ability is excellent
- In terms of grooming, he is below average
- He is average when it comes to trainability
- In regards to playfulness, he is average
- He has moderate sensitivity
- He is good in regards kid-friendly
- When it comes to Hypoallergenic it is a big NO
Tasty Tidbits :
This dog is born muscular and requires a high amount of food.
In regards to caring, Appenzeller Sennenhund ought to be cleaned well accordingly from the nails, ears and the general body. Unnecessary hair should be removed using a brush. Also, the dog should bathe when necessary.
When it comes to feeding of Appenzeller Sennenhund, the size of the dog, his age and activity level determines the amount of food to be given to him. This is because the dog is like a human being, and it requires a different amount of food. Also, the food should be of high quality to nourish the dog. The recommended amount of food should about one and half to two and a half cups of high quality dry food in every day, divided into two meals.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of Appenzeller sennenhund :
Information and Facts of Appenzeller Sennenhund :
- Full name is Appenzeller Sennenhund
- The dog’s origin is in Switzerland
- His other names are; Appenzeller Mountain dog, Appenzell cattle dog, Entlebucher Mountain Dog and Entlebucher Sennenhund
- He stands twenty to twenty-two inches tall
- This dog weighs twenty-two to thirty-two kilograms
- He has a life expectancy of between twelve to fourteen years
- He comes with Black tricolor and Red tricolor
- His coat is dense
- The dog’s breed group is sporting
- The dog’s lifespan is between twelve to fifteen years
- In terms of temperament, he is self-assured, lively, energetic and reliable
- In terms of shedding coat, he is above average
- Puppy price is between $700-$800 USD.