This is a breed of gun dog. This breed of dog was mainly developed for hunting the birds. The lifestyle of this breed is athletic. This is an intelligent, alert, and an active dog. A French Brittany is also named as a French Spaniel. This family of dog is a very versatile family. If you are looking for an excellent family friend, a French Brittany is the perfect choice for you. This breed is really a remarkable breed. This is indeed a high energy breed. Another distinctive thing is that this breed is the happiest breed of gun dogs.
History and Health :
- History :
There seems to be no difference between a French Brittany and an American Brittany. This happiest breed of the dog was developed about 1500 years ago in France. Due to its origin, the breed has been named as French Brittany. It is also said that this breed was developed by breeding English Brittany and French Spaniels. The main reason behind the development of this breed was to capture the games. These dogs do their job in an excellent way.
- Health :
These dogs live for ten to thirteen years normally. These dogs generally posses a good health. These dogs mostly suffer from a number of infections of ears. Familial renal disease and seizures are also common in this breed. Another disease that has a major affect on the health of a French Brittany is hip dysplasia.
Temperament & Personality :
- Personality :
A French Brittany is an active and a happiest dog. They have a pure zest of life. These dogs love to live outdoors. This breed is an excellent breed for hunting. These dogs enjoy their life by playing. These dogs remain loyal to their owners and have an even temper. These dogs have a kind nature, and always show an affectionate behavior towards their families.
- Activity Requirements :
These dogs are full of vigor and are very enthusiastic. They have a higher level of activity. These dogs can hunt 50 to 60 yards easily.
- Trainability :
These dogs are the intelligent dogs. These are obedient and have a good temper. Therefore, a trainer does not face much difficulty in training a French Brittany. An experienced trainer can teach them easily by making use of easy techniques of training the dogs. These are the working dogs and really work for us.
- Behavioral Traits :
These dogs have a high spirit. This breed is a happy and an attentive breed of gundogs. These alert dogs are very agile, and are quick at learning. These dogs also adapt easily.
Appearance & Grooming :
- Appearance :
A French Brittany is a medium sized dog with a strong body. If viewed from the side, it seems that as the dog has a square shape. These dogs are the most energetic dogs. Some dogs have short tails, and some dogs are tailless. The length of their tail is less than four inches. These dogs also carry feathering, and are available in a number of colors.
- Size and Weight :
The height of a male French Brittany is 47-52 cm, and the height of a female French Brittany is 46-51 cm. The weight of a male and also a female French Brittany is 13.6-18.2 Kg.
- Coat & Color :
You can find a French Brittany in different colors like roan, orange, black, white, and piebald. This breed has a wavy coat. Some dogs have a flat coat also. There is moderate feathering on the legs of the dogs. There are thick feathers on the thighs. These dogs have loose skin. The ears of a French Brittany have a fringe shape.
- Grooming :
The coat of this breed is very thick, but the dogs do not have heavy shedding. Therefore, grooming requirements of these dogs are very low. Brushing the coat of the dog twice a week is enough for proper grooming. These dogs have low maintenance requirements.
- Body Type :
A French Brittany has a solid and a compact body. These dogs have long legs. These dogs are very strong, and show an impulsive movement. These dogs have a short length tail.
- These dogs are very good with the kids.
- This is a cat friendly breed.
- These dogs are very friendly with the dogs.
- It is extremely easy to train these dogs.
- These dogs have very low shedding.
- It is fine to use a French Brittany as a watch dog.
- A French Brittany is a very intelligent dog.
- These dogs are very popular.
- These dogs need high grooming.
- These dogs have maximum adaptability.
- This French Brittany breed is not hypoallergenic.
Tasty Tidbits :
These dogs are the excellent dogs, and have a smooth gait. They walk in a well-balanced and a quiet way.
These dogs are very active and need a little care. For their good health, frequent bathing and regular exercise is the requirement. Make sure that you give your dog a balanced and clean food. It is necessary to meet their mental and physical needs to avoid them from being destructive and hostile.
Images, Pics, Photos and Pictures of French Brittany :
For maintaining a good health, you are required to feed your dog two times a day. The amount of the meal depends upon the age and the size of the dog.
Information And Facts of French Brittany :
- Full name is French Brittany.
- Other names are Epagneul Breton, Brittany Spaniel, American Brittany, and Brittany Wiegre.
- The origin of this breed is France.
- This is a medium size dog breed.
- This breed is a sporting dog breed (AKC).
- The life span of this breed is 14-15 years.
- The height of a male French Brittany is 19-20 inches, and the height of a female French Brittany is 18-20 inches.
- The weight of a male French Brittany. Is 13.6-18.2 Kg, and the weight of a female French Brittany is also 13.6-18.2 Kg.
- These dogs are found in different colors, i.e. black, white, orange and white, and Piebald.
- The average price of a puppy is $700-$800.
- These dogs daily need 8-10 hours sleep.
- It is an active herding breed.